Fundraising Tips for Runners
Proceeds raised by Team NWH benefit cancer patients and their families by supporting the Vernon Cancer Center’s Patients Fund. This Fund enables our Integrative Support Services caregivers to provide urgently needed "emergency" assistance to financially vulnerable cancer patients, helping them get through treatment without additional stress.
The following fundraising tips can help you reach your goal:
- Create your own fundraising page. Be sure to edit your own fundraising page so that friends and family can easily donate to your effort online. Customize your page with photos and stories.
- Make a list of potential supporters. There are certain people that you know you can depend on for support. Don’t forget: parents, grandparents, siblings, other relatives, spouses, partners, roommates, colleagues, teachers, and neighbors!
- Write a fundraising letter. Let your family, friends, colleagues, and others know that you are participating on Team NWH and are looking for their support. The letter can be sent in the mail or by email. Don’t be afraid to ask more than once! Click here for a sample letter.
- Make your own donation. This is just one more way to show your commitment to Team NWH.
- Ask about your company’s matching gift program. A simple way to increase your donation is to see if your company matches donations. Contact your Human Resources department for more information. If they match gifts, please mail a matching gift form to: Team NWH, Newton-Wellesley Hospital Charitable Foundation, 2014 Washington Street, Newton, MA 02462.
- Use social media. Using Facebook, Twitter, or other social networking sites can be a great way to let people know that you are participating in the Boston Marathon on Team NWH and gain additional fundraising support. Be sure to “Like” the Newton-Wellesley FB page.
- Participate on the Team NWH Blog. Keep supporters updated on your training progress.
- Download a Cash/Check Donations Form. While many of your supporters will make their gift using our secure website, some will prefer to give you cash or a check. Use this form to keep a record of the “offline” gifts you receive. Send/bring this form and all cash/checks to the Newton-Wellesley Hospital Development Office, Allen-Riddle Building, Room 214, 2014 Washington Street, Newton, MA 02462.
- If you know someone who would like to support you but would prefer not to make an online gift, you may give them our Printable Gift Form which would enable them to directly send us a gift using a credit card or check.
Best of luck in your efforts!
If you have any questions about how to get started, please email NWHCF@partners.org.